This summer has honestly been the best summer yet. I haven't been on a mission trip, nor did I go to a summer camp. I didn't take summer classes or do anything involved with school. I didn't take on the task of having a job, but I did do something of significance- I have spent the summer with people I care about, enjoying God's blessings.
To begin the summer, I went home to one of my three "home's". I spent time in Alabama with my wonderful step-mom, brother, and daddio. While there, I really winded down, had many lazy days, and relaxed. After leaving good 'ole Bama, I headed to the place I called "home" for over eight years- the beautiful state of South Carolina. I never get tired of driving almost nine hours to enjoy every millisecond of everything that the state has to offer, including my crazy-but-loving family there, and some of the best friends God has to offer (as well as marvelous beaches that I have missed terribly for the past year). While being there, I received many hugs and kisses from loved ones, spent quality time with God, my mother, step-dad, brother, and my beloved friends. I enjoyed reading my Bible, going to my old church, long conversations, cuddling with my momma/bestest friend, reminiscing, catching up with old friends, sunny beach days, floating down the river (a near death experience, might I add), hysterical laughter, and Lord knows I can't forget about mama's cooking/sweet-tea. It is humbling to be back there. It is there that I learned to truly appreciate simplicity. The little things in life mean the most. Although things are definitely not perfect there and sometimes funds are somewhat tight, my family/friends there know how to love deeply and affectionately (which I adore, since my #1 love language is physical touch). I'm forever grateful for each of them being perfectly placed in my life as well as in my heart.
After spending about a month in SC, I hopped in the car with one of my best friends Jamie. We experienced our first "road trip" together, which included some caffeine, 'lots of singing, bandanna wearing, laughing, road-rage, and a pit-stop in Georgia. Yes, we went to Ikea in Atlanta, and for a moment or two, I thought I was in a dream. The store had every possible item you could want for your household, in beautiful shapes, colors, and sizes. Being there made me second guess my major (should I actually be an interior designer?)...well, not really. Anyway, we traveled to Bama, stayed the night at my dad's, then proceeded to the home of country music- Nashville, Tennessee, to experience the "Brother's Of The Sun Tour" on June 23rd. It was a BLAST. Jake Owen, Grace Potter and The Nocturnals, Tim McGraw (with a special appearance by his lovely wifey Faith Hill), and Kenny Chesney performed...and we sang out hearts out for hours, while being barefoot on the LP field- from daylight to nighttime. We stayed in a not-so-appealing hotel, that was filled with character (and a profuse odor), but it was perfect for an overnight stay for the two of us. The next day we hit up the Country Music Hall of Fame, Waffle House, and headed back to Bama for a little over a day. The two of us then headed to my birthplace, Morristown, TN, to spend time with my family there. I love my Nana's embrace and kisses, the sister-like bond I share with my cousin, and all of my family in general. We went to Cherokee Lake, Panther Creek State Park, and the homes of different relatives which I was very glad to see/spend some time with. After almost dying on golf-cart rides, playing like children at the park, taking back roads (very windy ones, at that), listening to Jason Aldean, watching the sunset over the lake, and cherishing the beauty of the country and the plentiful fireflies that populated the fields at dusk, it was time to head back to SC (bringing my cousin Jessica along with us).
I spent another week in Carolina with my family...going to eat a few times, to the movies to see the new Madea, and putt-putted/rode golf-carts with my cousin and the darling Alston...only then to fly out of CHS and arrive in Rochester, New York. I enjoy flying, even with all the security matters/difficulty. I like to converse with strangers on the plane, and watch people, as well as eat Americanized Chinese food during my layover. But let me tell you- I really look forward to spending time with my family at Conesus Lake every summer. I don't necessarily get "hyped up" about it, but when I get there, I VALUE the precious time I spend with each of my relatives there, especially because I usually only get to see them once a year. I celebrated the 4th of July on the evening/night of the 3rd that included a family gathering, tubing, amazing food (along with my grandmother's wonderful fruit salad- my fav), a bonfire, fireworks, and of course- the Ring of Fire. This is a tradition each year where every lake house puts several torches that produce a bright red glow at the edge of where their property meets the water. Imagine hundreds of homes doing so. The result is a beautiful red ring that surrounds the entire lake; in my mind it is also a symbol of unifying our independence and freedom. I also got my hair braided with my four cousins, which seems to be a tradition now. We call ourselves "The Braided Bunch". I think it's the cutest thing ever. While in New York, I also went to Darien Lake (an amusement park), Letchworth State Park, Hidden Valley Animal Adventure (experienced a safari ride on 63 acres of land, and I had the privilege of fondling the dewlap of a Brahman), Niagra Falls (and rode the Maid of the Mist with my fam like Bruce did in Bruce Almighty), read the book "The Dead Don't Dance" by Charles Martin, got my tragus pierced with my cousin, received a pedicure thanks to my kind aunt, soaked in nature/the beauty of the lake, and enjoyed time with my family.
After running to catch the plane, and trying to make the best of a complicated flight, I made it back to SC safely on July 23rd. After a few days of being back in SC, family from TN came to visit for a few days. Before they headed back to TN, I traveled with them up the coast a bit to Myrtle Beach. While there, we enjoyed staying on the beach for a few days/nights. My cousin and I rode a banana boat ride. It was rough, fun, and we got thrown off into the ocean twice. Note to reader: do not put on tanning oil before going on a banana boat ride. You will slip around, making straddling the huge tube much more difficult so that you are basically completely dependent on a singular strap to hold onto with both hands. After the thrilling ride ended, we looked down to notice our knuckles bleeding. As I'm typing this, they are still not entirely healed. It was totally worth it. We also went to the boardwalk, got airbrush hats made, ate seafood, and rode a ride called "The Skyscraper". Fun stuff. On the day of departure, they headed upstate and over the mountains in North Carolina to their home in Tennessee, while I headed back towards Summerville. I'm never fond of goodbyes.
Since then, I'm here in Summerville, making the best of the time I have left here before I venture, yet again, back to one of my two "homes" in Alabama. I spent my step-dad's birthday with him. We went out to eat at Ruby Tuesday's, one of his favorites. I also had the privilege of spending my best friend Ally's (and her fraternal twin brother Bryan) birthday with her, her boyfriend, Taylor, and her family. Her nineteenth included shopping, playing a prank on her by purchasing a pet rat and letting it loose (while in a plastic ball) in her house, going to Petsmart to purchase her new pet a home, and going putt-putting. I spent a day by the pool and catching up with my dear, best friend Taylor. I'm going to spend time with the lovely Kristen this evening, and go ice-skating tomorrow with friends including Jamie, Raven, and possibly Ally.
I'm sure I left out some of the goodness I have experienced this summer, but I tried to include many details. I'll post another blog about what's been going on internally/spiritually with me recently. For now though, I am enjoying the day with my momma before she has to work again tomorrow evening. I'm going to leave sometime around the first week of August. Ugh. I do look forward to seeing my family/friends in Bama again, and beginning my sophomore year of college at UNA. I treasure time. It passes by so quickly; I would like to call it my enemy. So I'll take the time I have left here, make memories with the ones I love, and try to live each day as if it were my last here on earth...but hey, some days are better than others. Today is one of the greater days. Today is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it (Psalm 118:24).
I'm sure I left out some of the goodness I have experienced this summer, but I tried to include many details. I'll post another blog about what's been going on internally/spiritually with me recently. For now though, I am enjoying the day with my momma before she has to work again tomorrow evening. I'm going to leave sometime around the first week of August. Ugh. I do look forward to seeing my family/friends in Bama again, and beginning my sophomore year of college at UNA. I treasure time. It passes by so quickly; I would like to call it my enemy. So I'll take the time I have left here, make memories with the ones I love, and try to live each day as if it were my last here on earth...but hey, some days are better than others. Today is one of the greater days. Today is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it (Psalm 118:24).
I didn't know you blogged! I am going to follow you. I Love keeping up with you! Love you, Bonnie!
ReplyDeleteI do every so often...not as much as I'd like to though. Please do :) Love you Sara Beth!
ReplyDelete